Ramdon (Jjapaguri with Steak) – Recipe
Have you tried making ramdon yet from the Parasite movie? Well, if you haven’t, it’s as good as a time as any while in quarantine, granted you have a ramyun stockpile. I always do, quarantine or not.
Jjapaguri isn’t new. It was trending a few years ago in Korea. So much in fact, Nongshim started selling Chapaghetti and Neoguri sets. And how is it? It’s not a mind-blowing combination, but it’s tasty. If you like Chapaghetti, which I ❤️, it’s that with a spicy seafood kick from the Neoguri seasoning. With steak it’s even better.
Making ramdon is pretty easy. Most people grill the steak and then add it to the jjapaguri, but I kept it separate above because I wasn’t sure if hubby would like it. He did of course (he’s no psycho), so I’ll probably mix it all in a bowl together next time. Keep it simple, or not. Either way it’ll taste good. As for the Neoguri soup powder, the amount to add is based on your preference. The original recipe calls for a full packet, but I find a full too salty. Half or a little more than half is my preference. Again, do what you want. You’re quarantined, no one’s watching anyway.
- 1 package Chapagetti
- 1 packaget Neoguri
- 8 oz flat iron steak (use sirloin steak if you prefer)
- 1 handful spinach (optional)
- 1 stalk thinly sliced scallion (optional)
- dash sesame seeds or furikake (optional)
- 1 tsp olive oil (for grilling)
- salt & pepper to taste
- Cook steak to your preference. To keep it simple, for medium-rare to medium, I salt the steak and throw it into a preheated air fryer at 400° F for 10 minutes. Flip the steak midway. When the steak is done, let it rest while you make the jjapaguri.
- In a pot, bring 3 cups of water to a boil. Once boiling, add the noodles and dried vegetable packets from both ramyun packages. Cook for 3 minutes. Strain noodles, but reserve 1/4 to 1/2 a cup of water.
- Turn off heat. Add noodles and reserved water back into the pot. Start with 1/4 cup of water.
- Add the full seasoning packet from the Chapagetti, 1/2 a packet of the seasoning packet from the Neoguri, and the full packet of the oil from the Chapaghetti. Mix well. If the noodles are too dry, add more of reserved water.
- Add spinach and mix if you desire. The residual heat will cook the spinach.
- Cut steak to bite size pieces. Plate and serve with the jjapaguri on the side.
- Garnish jjapaguri with scallions and sesame seeds or furikake if you're adding.